Limescale is a problem faced by every household. Hard water which is heated past 55 degree Celsius and left to stand forms into solids when the moisture evaporates and these solids is what makes up limescale. They cause a serious problem to our general appliances, pipe lines, boilers, taps and shower heads. The visible effects are nothing compared to the ones that can’t be seen. Limescale stays trapped in most of our heating systems and appliances making it difficult to maintain and operate.
According to British Water, ‘A 1.6mm coating of limescale on a heating element can make it up to 12% less effective. It could also cause your appliances to burn themselves out much more quickly than normal.’
There are common ways to clean and remove limescale using household substances such as vinegar, lemon juice and soda however they do not last long and damage the surface area. The easier, quicker and longer lasting solution is the use of readymade limescale descalers which gently eliminates the white chalky chemical from the effected surfaces.
- Half fill kettle with water and boil it.
- Add the all-purpose descaler into the kettle (as per the guidelines on the pack).
- Wait for 10 minutes.
- If there is still scale at the bottom of the kettle simply reheat the kettle until it fizzes but do not boil.
- Pour out the kettle and rinse it with cold water.
- Fill the kettle with fresh clean water and boil again.
- Pour out the water and rinse thoroughly.
- First remove the water filter if the machine uses a filter.
- Hold down the CALC button for 3 seconds.
- Remove the water tank from the machine and pour in cool water up to the minimum water level line and add the all-purpose descaler into the water (as per the guidelines on the pack).
- Handle the descaling agent with care and avoid contact with eyes and skin.
- Fit the water tank back into the machine.
- Place a large receptacle under the nozzle and put the nozzle into the dispensing mode.
- The machine will descale for the next 10 minutes.
- Change the nozzle position when the indicator says “turn on coffee.”
- Wait 10 minutes.
- Empty tray when indicator says “empty tray” and reinsert trays.
- Remove water tank and rinse it and fill it with cool water up to the maximum water level line.
- Put the receptacle under the nozzle and put the nozzle into the dispensing mode.
- Change the nozzle position when the indicator says “turn on coffee”.
- Wait till the indicator says “empty tray and clean contacts”.
- Empty the all-purpose descaler into the drum of the machine without laundry.
- Run it 60 degree Celsius coloured laundry programme without pre wash.
- Run the programme again for thorough cleaning.
- Run the 60 degree Celsius programme with detergent or dishes.
- Check which programme corresponds to which temperature in the instruction manual.
- After 30 minutes open the dishwasher with caution.
- Add the all-purpose descaler throughout the dishwasher and repeat the procedure above.